Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Using Productivity Tools to enhance your Professional Practice

Using Productivity Tools to Enhance Your Professional                                                Practice


For the first of my two productivity tools I chose to use "Videono.tes."  I have been giving a lot of Google Classroom assignments that have included videos.  My students have either been taking notes on separate paper or on a Google Doc.  I really liked the idea of this tool and have already started using it with the study of The Middle Ages.  

My students seem to like it and found it to be "user friendly."  Next year when I do my major research project with the class, this will be part of assignment.

The only concern I have is related to a study reported on NPR showing hand written notes to be more effective than compute notes.  Part of the concern is that college students can transcribe word for word notes on a computer without having to process the ideas.  My students are not as fast on the keyboard, so they still need to strategize and paraphrase.  i think the key thing is to make sure they are paraphrasing and not just writing verbatim what was said.

Videonot.es


The second tool I am using is Doctopus.  I am signed up for a collegial circle using Goobric (I have wanted to be able to attach rubrics quickly to written assignments on Google Docs).  When I went to Goobric and started viewing a Youtube video on it the presenter was using Doctpus with it.  I think it will be a bit of a stretch for me, but if I jump into it and use it, I think it will help me organize and more efficiently use my Google Classroom assignments. 

The tool will help with grading and sending out assignments to smaller, more select groups. I will use it for the rest of this year in order to get proficiency and then start with it next year (using Google Classroom, Doctopus, and Goobric together). 

Doctopus tutorial


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Doctopus - you have really jumped on board with these amazing tools. First I heard about Orange slice... now listen to you. All I can say is, move out of your way - you are on a roll. :)

    ReplyDelete