Friday, April 7, 2017

Well, my m.o. is to put something humorous in, but I'm coming up dry. 

 Something about lesson plans that saps my "funny." I spent some serious time planning last night and I feel like I have an idea that will help my students.  I have been working with them trying to get them to cite evidence in their writing responses and to use good sentences that tell the reader where their information came from. 

My plan is to first have my students respond to a reading passage that has multiple quotations, facts, and sources. After doing this I will re-teach this concept using a new poster that I made and then I will have them take the same passage and they will use Tynker to create animated characters who will give the quotes. They will have two characters for each of 3-4 slides.  One will be the giver of the information and the other will be the student who will either quote or paraphrase. After doing that they will then write their responses again to see if they cite more frequently and clearly.  My hope is that by doing the exercise of making the characters with the quotes or facts the concept will be more concrete and automatic. 

When we complete our assignment we will collaborate with Mr. Brokks and his class.  Each class will share what they did and what their results were.  We may use Seesaw for this. 

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun project. I know your students are going to be very engaged with it. Seesaw would be a great tool to use to share. They have used it in my room so they are familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea is a great way to make the learning more concrete. Love the idea of sharing with Mr. Brooks' class because the students will care more about what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea. That age group needs it! They try to spout off such big facts at that age and never try to find any proof to back up their claims. I love listening to them argue about who is the best basketball player with each other and never give any facts.

    (Oh good grief blogger! This is my third time trying to post on this blog. Removed my last post because of an error. Blogger does't allow for editing.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea. They will love using Tynker with this project! Maybe they can create a 3rd character (dressed as an official cite-man) who will give the citations after the quotes...a very droll, but necessary man. Hopefully this would help them remember to include citations in their written work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti stole my words! I lOVE THIS IDEA! I like the idea of creating characters to give an image to the voice! I think they will be motivated to do this project because it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can't wait to see this project. I have very little idea about Tynker. Would it be something to use with little ones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a an audience here at school is going to make "real" for them. Good luck and Tynker away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is great you and Mr.Brooks are collaborating for this.

    ReplyDelete